Even with small savings, you can travel, see new places and have fun at the same time. With a limited budget, you do not have to give up on vacation. We do not offer to borrow money or go bank robbery. The main rule is to prepare a trip in advance. There are several ways you can save money during your vacation.
- Try to buy your groceries from a local supermarket and use the kitchen in the hotel or condo. Nine times out of ten the cost of a meal prepared at home is cheaper than eating outside. If you like cooking, you’ll be able to buy food and drinks in the large supermarkets Maxima, Iki, Rimi, and Lidl or you could look for it in the smaller more specialized shops. If you want more variety, go to the market. The biggest markets are in Vilnius, be sure to check out Halės, Kalvarijų, or Šeškinės markets. In Kaunas you can visit the Stoties and Šilainių markets, and in Klaipeda, Naujasis, Senasis, and Tilžės markets.
- Considering the exchange rate is super important when traveling overseas. This can make a big difference in your budget. You will get the best rate to your destination using a bank’s ATM. Foreign exchange centers usually have pretty bad exchange rates. The official currency of Baltic States is the Euro. You can find the nearest ATM using the following online locators: Visa ATM locator; MasterCard ATM locator; AmEx ATM locator; Citadele ATM locator
- Make sure you call your credit cards and bank before you go to find out what their foreign transaction fees are. You can rack up a lot of charges in fees. If the fees are high, look into getting a card with no foreign transaction fees before you go. Don’t forget to let them know when and where you’re headed to avoid a credit freeze for suspicious activity.
- Share suitcases, sometimes those bag fees are really expensive and especially kids don’t need their own suitcases.
- Don’t wait until the last minute. It is a great way to find affordable places in Baltic States while traveling and stay within your budget. Before a trip, you should check out review sites and top list articles for affordable restaurants and attractions. Add them to your map, and search when you need to find a place to eat. If you wait until the last minute, you will have to pay premium price.
- If you don’t have a roaming sim card, don’t forget to download offline version of your travel apps. It will save you a lot of money, data roaming is very expensive. Download all the offline versions of your favorite app and turn off your data while you are travelling.
- Book and shop online. The Internet has made it much easier to plan your trips. In internet you can buy airline, train or bus tickets, book a lodging or rent a car, and most importantly, it’s easy to compare outsourcing prices. However, we should add that in some countries you can travel much more cheaply with a tour operator. This rule applies to the most popular destinations of Lithuania, as tour operators, ordering tourism services, have a strong bargaining power and receive significantly better prices.
The above are just general starters. More specific advice can be provided by our travel specialists based on the specific area you are planning on visiting. We can plan your tour considering your preferences and budget.